PWR-ICE125 : more or less only issues

Allgemeine Fragen zu den Produkten der Firma miniDSP.
Dastrakerm

PWR-ICE125 : more or less only issues

Beitragvon Dastrakerm » Mo 27. Mär 2017, 19:12

Dear community,

First, even if I live near the German-side of Belgium, I'm more comfortable in English than in German, so sorry in advance! :D

I bought three miniDSP PWR-ICE125 on OAudio and I have the same issue on all of them. I hear what it seems to be a ground loop (I have peaks at 100 Hz, 200 Hz,...). I tried EVERYTHING : changing setups on the plug-in, trying the jumpers (on and off, to reduce or not the sensitivity by 16 dB),... Really, you can trust me on this one: I tried every solution I can imagine. I even tried to fix the power-cable going from the amp to the miniDSP and it didn't go well...

So, here is what I can say about this issue:

- When I disconnect the power-cable going from the ICEPower amp to the miniDSP, the sound disappear, so the issue is brought by the miniDSP, I guess.

- I don't think my electrical installation is the issue, because I tried in a different town/different building and it doesn't change.

- On the third PWR-ICE I received, when I was moving the power-cable going to the miniDSP a bit, the issue disappeared as well, but then it made a big noise and now there's no more music going to the speakers. I checked the drivers and they still work, as the digital-link to a second PWR-ICE. LEDs are blinking and so on, so...

Seriously, I'm out of ideas! I'm in contact with miniDSP itself, but they take a damn week to answer my emails. I even tried to contact OAudio weeks ago with the contact-form without success (no answer).

My request is simple: my DIY project is in standby mode since weeks because of this. Everything is set up and ready, except that part... I invested a lot in this project and it makes me mad. I just want to receive PWR-ICE that works. :cry: It's not my job to try to fix the product...

Thanks in advance! I hope someone will help me!

Nick

Re: PWR-ICE125 : more or less only issues

Beitragvon Nick » Di 28. Mär 2017, 08:33

Hi...
one of the reasons we have the forum is, that we have a large amount of SPAM. Plus we receive tons of Emails per day...
So it might be that your Email is still in the SPAM folder...
miniDSP in Hong Kong was moving the company in the last weeks... Sorry...

So we will take a look at your issues and will answer your questions ASAP.
One more thing: if we don't solve the issue online you have to send it back to us.

Cheers,
Nick

Dastrakerm

Beitragvon Dastrakerm » Di 28. Mär 2017, 18:25

Hi Nick.

No problem, I can send the plates back to you if it's necessary. :mrgreen:

Is there a way I can buy the power-cable going from the amp to the miniDSP and/or the cable going from the miniDSP to the amp alone? Those are quiet fragile and some wires disconnected from the plug.

DanielF

Beitragvon DanielF » Mi 29. Mär 2017, 16:56

Hi Dastrakerm,

we need to know as much detail as possible about how you have the PWR-ICE connected and the source units they are connected to, and under what circumstances the noise arises. We also need to know step by step how you have tried to eliminate the issue. I have also attached a photo of the rear of a 250 model. Notice that the powersupply cable from the ice power board to the DSP board has a cable tie around it to prevent it from coming too close to the amplifier section which will cause interference.
PWR_ICE250_rear_wiring.jpg
PWR_ICE250_rear_wiring.jpg (159.11 KiB) 1261 mal betrachtet
If you're not a work in progress, we can't be friends.

Dastrakerm

Beitragvon Dastrakerm » Do 30. Mär 2017, 08:08

Hi DanielF,

The setup is quiet simple: USB going from my Mac to a miniDSP ministreamer to convert to S/PDIF. Then I have a S/PDIF to XLR AES/EBU cable connected to a first plate (on the AES/EBU digital-in). A second plate is linked in digital.

The tweeter is a Seas T25CF002 (89 dB) and the low-medium a Seas W18E001 (86 dB).

What did I try to fix the issue :

- Filtering the power-cable going from the amp to the miniDSP with capacitors ;
- Using the jumpers on the miniDSP to reduce the sensibility (even if I have not high-sens drivers) ;
- Checking the grounding of the miniDSP (the little screw going from the board to the black metal plate) ;
- Unplugging all of the cables but the power-supply ;
- Try to plug the all thing (my speakers with the PWR-ICE) in a different town, in a different building ;
- To reset the config of the plug-in to factory default ;

Thanks in advance for your help! :D

DanielF

Beitragvon DanielF » Do 30. Mär 2017, 09:44

USB going from my Mac to a miniDSP ministreamer to convert to S/PDIF. Then I have a S/PDIF to XLR AES/EBU

Did you ever consider that the interference is related to the USB connection from the Mac (computers are notorious for bleeding psu/fan/etc. related noise into the audio channels) or the adapting of RCA to XLR (again notorious sources of noise and interference)?
According to your list of attempted solutions you never tried it without the double adapted input connection. Do you mind trying it without an input connected, and then with either a balanced analog connection (with no adapters) or a standard RCA connection?

Dastrakerm

Beitragvon Dastrakerm » Do 30. Mär 2017, 17:59

I tried with no connections made to the PWR-ICE and I still have the issue. Same result with a simple RCA connection.

Dastrakerm

Beitragvon Dastrakerm » Di 4. Apr 2017, 17:57

Any solution? :?

DanielF

Beitragvon DanielF » Mi 5. Apr 2017, 11:06

You said you tried the jumpers for the output. Did you try the input jumpers?
The only remaining option is for you to send it back and we'll see if we can reproduce the noise. Unfortunately due to the infinite number of combinations of Hifi equipment that are possible it is unlikely we can reproduce the exact environment and as such the exact noise.

Dastrakerm

Beitragvon Dastrakerm » Mi 5. Apr 2017, 12:59

I tried every jumpers.

I will send all three PWR-ICE back to you. Two of them seem to have bigger issues, you can check to repair those as well, if it's possible.

How can I send them back to you?

Zurück zu „miniDSP Forum“